The MassCommute Bicycle Challenge (MCBC) is a week-long, FREE and friendly competition among Massachusetts businesses, educational institutions, and municipalities. For the 23rd year in a row, the 2017 MCBC will take place during Bay State Bike Week (May 13th – 21st) with the new theme, “Be Outspoken”. See what’s new in 2017 below!
This exciting corporate challenge has been hosted by MassCommute for Bay State bicyclists for 23 years. Simply register for the Challenge and log your daily miles and trips (new in 2017!) taken by bicycle, and you’re in the running! Join us this May for prizes, raffles, and our legendary “Bike Bash” celebration on 5/31.
Want to try bike commuting but aren’t sure where to start/what to wear/how to stay safe? Check out these handy slides from our our 5/12/16 webinar with MassBike‘s Richard Fries: 5.12.16_Webinar_Bike Commuting Decoded.slides
If you have questions about the Challenge or our registration process, please visit our FAQ Page
NEW in 2017
This year, we are excited to launch two new elements of the MCBC:
- Log your trips on the go with the Ryde by Modeo app! Be sure to join the “MCBC Crew” in Ryde and all of your bike trips will be automatically logged in the app. Then, when you log in to your MCBC account, simply click “import trips from Ryde” on the Log Miles page
- Win for most trips taken by bike, not just most miles! We wanted to encourage and reward the daily cyclist- the person who chooses to ride frequently event if those trips are short and don’t score big on the miles Leader Board. Toggle between miles and trips on the Leader Board to see the leading trip-takers!
Register for the MCBC here.
When you register, make sure that your team receives proper credit on the Leader Board by entering your business/institution name AND the municipal location in which you work. E.g., if you work at Putnam Investments in Andover, register your company as Putnam Investments-Andover; if you work at Putnam Investments in Boston, register your company as Putnam Investments-Boston. Even if you register as an individual, we encourage you to also enter in your employer and municipality so that they can earn credit towards the Challenge for those categories.
Share your stories with @MCBikeChallenge to #MCBC2017!
RIDE & LOG TRIPS
Ride as many times as you can and log your trips/total miles for all trips by bike during May 13 – 21. We especially encourage you to use your bicycle for transportation such as commuting, dining, going to a movie or soccer game, running errands, etc. Biking is a great way to get where you need to go! Check our new Rack Up Your Miles page for ways to increase your mileage.
Download the Ryde app to automatically track your miles (without draining your battery)
WIN PRIZES & AWARDS
Win great prizes and awards by participating in the MCBC during Bay State Bike Week. We will be distributing daily raffle prizes throughout the week of May 13 – 21, and we will also host our legendary raffle during the Bike Bash with prizes donated by some of our favorite bike-friendly businesses!
Daily raffles for 2016 were as follows:
- Monday 5/16: Po Campo Uptown Bike Trunk Bag
- Tuesday 5/17: Annual Hubway Membership
- Wednesday 5/18: $50 to RedBones BBQ
- Thursday 5/19: Camelbak Classic Pack
- Friday 5/20: $50 to Marathon Sports
Know a business who might be willing to donate a prize or two to the Bike Bash raffle? Email MCBikeChallenge@masscommute.com
We have some pretty impressive stats to beat in 2017: